Wednesday, May 02, 2018

We've Got History

A friend recently recommended I listen to a new song put out by Bethel Music called "History" and let me tell you, it's powerful.  (If you've never heard it, it would be well worth your time to pull up a separate tab in YouTube and take 10 minutes today to listen to it.)  The first line alone resonates deeply in my spirit.

"You and I, we've got history.  We go way, way back.  We go way, way back."

To this song I simply say, "yes and amen".  Me and the Lord, we've got history.  Obviously He knows me way better than I know myself, and He knew me before I was ever even a thought in anyone else's mind.  Which in itself is incredible!  But this song got me thinking through what my journey with the Lord has looked like, and man, there's a lot of incredible history to it.

I grew up in a Christian home with parents who loved me deeply, got us girls involved in our church growing up, and encouraged/instilled Christian values in our lives.  I'm grateful for that.  But my personal journey with the Lord truly began to take shape one Wednesday night after my family switched churches leading into my sophomore year of high school.  Jesus grabbed ahold of my heart that night in a way that completely reshaped and transformed my life moving forward.

Looking back from that night as a sophomore in high school to where I am now... there's so much history.  Valleys, mountain tops, deserts, big decisions and small ones, moments of uncertainty, moments of celebration - so much we've walked through together.  There are so many things I've seen the Lord do.  So many things I've heard the Lord speak.  There are so many places and people He has led me to.  There are so many "impossible" looking things I've seen Him accomplish in, through, and around me.  So much history!

It makes me wonder how fear or doubt ever get invited to pull up a chair in my life.  Jesus and I, we've got quite the track record - His one of faithfulness every time.  Mine one that has ebbed and flowed.  It reminds me of that scripture in 2 Timothy 1:13... "if we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot disown Himself."  He's always had my back, always been there, always seen me through even the darkest, driest, most uncertain moments.  We go way, way back.  So I don't have to fear or question what's coming because my track record with the Lord tells me that He'll be there, speak to, and work in whatever seasons are coming.  It may look different than how He's worked or spoken in the past - because He's not in the habit of working the same exact way every time - but I can trust that He'll be there, that He's already there waiting for me to seek Him out.

He's trustworthy.  He's faithful.  He's so good.  I'm thankful for our history - a history that's given me such a strong foundation to stand on because I know who He is, who He's been and who He will continue to be.

No comments: