Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Seven: 7 Words to Live By

"Love the LORD your God with all..." (Matthew 22:37)

That may seem like a funny place to end that verse.  After all, what follows it is good stuff, powerful stuff, legit stuff.  Yet when I look at those first seven words, that really sums up what God asks of me, of us.

He never says "with some", "with part", "with most"...you get the idea.  He says, "WITH ALL".  But I don't always live like that.  Too often, I go part way or most of the way and then stop.  I give some of what's in my hands but keep a few things back for me to control and hold onto.

The truth is, the best way and the only way I can love God is with EVERYTHING, holding nothing back.

So as incomplete as that verse may look, if I don't pay attention to the "ALL" then the rest of it doesn't really mean a whole lot.

No comments: