Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I Hit A Kid!

Seriously! I really hit a little boy yesterday evening!

With my car? No. With my fist? No. So what did I hit him with you ask...with my door! Car door? No. With my apartment door!!! Take a moment to let that soak in!

So, here's the story...

After getting off work a little late yesterday, I rushed home to my apartment to grab a book I needed before heading to Goshen. I was running late so, of course, I was in a bit of a hurry. As I came rushing down the stairs of my apartment toward the front door, this is when it all happened! I quickly opened my door to head back out to my car and BAM!!!

Now, let me explain. I live in town, so my front yard is a sidewalk. People walk on sidewalks. Though, it's not like it's a busy or happening location. I never think to open my door with caution. It's just not necessary because no one is ever there! Granted, it was much more busy during the Apple Festival, so I learned to be a bit more cautious in opening my front door...especially after nearly knocking over a poor old woman. But the festival is over, the crowds are gone, & there was simply no need for caution!

As I opened the door, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. But it was one of those moments where nothing registers in your brain. You know, one of those "Hmm...I wonder what that is" moments where the next thing you know you find yourself thinking, "Why didn't I see that?!" So there I was dumbfounded by what I had just done.

Now, let me continue to clarify because believe it or not, the story does get better. The boy wasn't merely walking along the sidewalk & then got smashed into a door. No, no. He was on his bike! And my door caught the pedals & back wheel as he was riding by. So, picture with me if you will, a small boy no older than 10, cute as can be (although now badly bruised, I'm sure), riding on his bike through town just trying to get home, only to have some awful girl open a door & knock the wind right out of him!

The whole scenario went something like this: Door opens, "BANG!" Boy goes flying off bike about 3 feet barely missing the lightpost outside my apartment. Boy now lies on ground wedged between fallen bike with wheels spinning & large metal lightpost. I stand holding the door looking dumbfounded at boy on the ground, trying to decide if I should laugh or cry at what I had just done. Boy gets up, turns to me as I pick up his bike for him, and says, "Uhhhh...sorry lady."

What?! Sorry?!?! I just knocked a kid off his bike & he's apologizing to me? Still not knowing how to respond, I apologized profusely to the boy & asked over and over if he was alright. Though he didn't appear to have any visible scrapes or bruises, I was sure he would be hurting later. Again he apologized to me saying, "I'm really sorry. I'm okay. I just have to get home really fast!" Asking one more time if he was sure he was alright, I stood there watching as the boy continued riding off toward home.

After he left, I found myself sheepishly looking around to see who else may have been watching. Afterall, I live in town...it's not completely void of people! Though I didn't really see anyone else around, I'm sure that there must have been someone watching me beat on this poor child with my front door! I quickly got back in my car & that's when I absolutely lost it. No, not crying...laughing hysterically! I know, I know...how could I possibly laugh at the thought of knocking a 10 year old boy down? But come on, who does stuff like this? What are the chances of something like that actually happening?!

I'm just waiting for that moment where some irrate mother comes to my apartment door screaming at me for beating up on her poor defenseless child who came home one night with bruises all over his body!

In the meantime, if you're ever walking or riding your bike on the sidewalks in town and you're getting ready to pass by my place...you might want to wear a helmet!!! I've learned my lesson. From now on...open the door with caution!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kristy, that story was hilarious. Sitting in my little cubicle at work I laughed alot. :) Thanks for brightening my day. Oh, and I do feel bad for the young one but honestly, that's just really funny. Have a great weekend! I miss seeing you!